• • •
How can I challenge my gifted students?
• • •
Why is my gifted child so sensitive?
• • •
What are effective programming options to serve the gifted on my campus?
• • •
Why doesn’t my gifted child make all A’s?
• • •
How can I differentiate instruction for my gifted students in mixed-ability environments?
Ryan’s story served as my inspiration to remain in the classroom for over a decade, work with gifted and high-potential youth, and obtain a doctorate focusing on gifted education. Now, my passion is to share Ryan’s gift with you, the teachers and families of the gifted, the ones with the extraordinary potential to inspire learning, success, and happiness among these young, bright, and talented individuals.
A trained and experienced professional in the field of gifted education, I am eager to help you understand and support the unique academic, social, and emotional needs of your gifted child(ren) and/or student(s). I provide consulting for parents, educators, and gifted youth; workshops and speaking engagements; and campus/district training seminars.
Although my passion is working with pre-service, novice, and veteran teachers with an emerging knowledge of giftedness, I can speak on a variety of topics including but are not limited to:
- Characteristics of gifted youth and adults
- Identification procedures for gifted programs
- Cognitive needs of gifted youth
- Academic programming options for gifted students
- Social and emotional needs of gifted youth
- Serving gifted students in the regular classroom
- Differentiated instruction for gifted students
- Tips for parenting gifted children
- Strategies to motivate and engage gifted students
- Advocating for gifted youth
- Resources that support parenting and teaching the gifted
- Activities to use when traveling with gifted children
- General ideas and strategies to ensure gifted students are maximizing their abilities
- Service learning activities
Dr. McWilliams is a veteran educator with over a decade of experience working with gifted students. Dr. McWilliams holds an Ed.D. in Curriculum and Instruction with a gifted education focus, an M.Ed. in English Education, a BA in English, a school principal certificate, and a gifted and talented state supplemental certificate. She has also organized and led several immersive student field trips to Europe, Central America, and Africa.